- 1994: Establishment of the Hellenic Institute of Metrology (EIM).
- 1997: Recruitment of the first permanent EIM personnel (5 special scientists).
- 2001: Operation of the modern EIM building, featuring state of the art laboratory infrastructure in the Industrial Area of Sindos, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- 2001: The Hellenic Republic became a Member State of the Meter Convention in 2001 with Hellenic Institute of Metrology (EIM), acting as the signatory NMI.
- 2003: Beginning of collaboration between EIM and the Ionizing Radiation Calibration Laboratory (IRCL) of the Greek Atomic Energy Commission.
- 2005: Establishment of the Chemical Metrology Laboratory in association with the General Chemical State Laboratory, according to Greek State Law: Ν. 3427 / 2005, αρθρ. 51 (ΦΕΚ 312 Α – 2005).
- 2007: Establishment of the European Association of National Metrology Institutes (EURAMET e.V.). EIM was one of the founding memebers.
- 2013: EIM becomes an operational unit of the new Organization “National Quality Infrastructure System (NQIS)” of Greece according to Greek State Law: ν.4109/2013.