The Hellenic Institute of Metrology (EIM) is the National Metrology Organization of Greece and the official metrology and measurements advisor of the Greek State.
EIM is a legal body ascribing to the private law, supervised by the General Secretariat of Industry. Since January 23, 2013 EIM is a unit of the National Quality Infrastructure System (NQIS) of Greece (Law: ν.4109/2013). NQIS consists of the following independent units: a) Hellenic Institute of Metrology (EIM), b) National Stadardization Body of Greece (ELOT). EIM facilities are located in the Industrial Area of Thessaloniki. Address and Contact.
With its modern infrastructure, state of the art technology and expert know-how, EIM develops activities, promotes co-operations and provides services, which contribute to the growth of a competitive national economy. Its activities contribute to the quality of products and services, the improvement of methods and processes in manufacturing and production, as well as the assurance of fair trade and consumer safety & protection. EIM responsibilities include:
- The realization of all basic and derivative measurement units of the International System of units (S.I.) through the use of the respective national standards.
- The development of measuring methods and techniques.
- The support of a National Metrology System.
- The operation of calibration laboratories and the issuance of calibration certificates.
- The promotion of the science of metrology.
- The development and the provision of certified reference materials.
- The national representation to international metrology organizations and fora.
- 2013: EIM becomes an operational unit of the new Organization “National Quality Infrastructure System (NQIS)” of Greece according to Greek State Law: ν.4109/2013.
- 2007: Establishment of the European Association of National Metrology Institutes (EURAMET e.V.). EIM was one of the founding memebers.
- 2005: Establishment of the Chemical Metrology Laboratory in association with the General Chemical State Laboratory, according to Greek State Law: Ν. 3427 / 2005, αρθρ. 51 (ΦΕΚ 312 Α – 2005).
- 2003: Beginning of collaboration between EIM and the Ionizing Radiation Calibration Laboratory (IRCL) of the Greek Atomic Energy Commission.
- 2001: The Hellenic Republic became a Member State of the Meter Convention in 2001 with Hellenic Institute of Metrology (EIM), acting as the signatory NMI.
- 2001: Operation of the modern EIM building, featuring state of the art laboratory infrastructure in the Industrial Area of Sindos, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- 1997: Recruitment of the first permanent EIM personnel (5 special scientists).
- 1994: Establishment of the Hellenic Institute of Metrology (EIM).